- Inquire Now
Our daily lives rely heavily on electricity and the power it provides our cities, homes, appliances, gadgets, and other technologies. Our Homes are powered by electricity but do you know how to ensure your safety?
Electricity is a type of energy that we cannot see, hear or smell; this type of energy is a necessity in our daily lives but we have to be aware of the hazards it can pose to us and our families. That is why we should make sure that the systems we have in place can effectively and safely manage this energy to ensure the safety of the family.
Over the years, electrical connection issues have been the top cause of fires in Metro Manila, constituting an average of 53.85% of the total fires yearly. From 2016 to 2020, the mean decrease in electrical fire incidents is 6.08% only. The biggest decline recorded was from year 2018 (2,644) to 2019 (2,190) at 17.17%. This year, electrical arcing* still dominates the electrical causes of fires in NCR, with 287 (25.30%) of the 1,134 fires from January to April 2021. Furthermore, of the 338 recorded residential fires in Manila, 123 (36.39%) of these were due to electrical ignition caused by arcing*, loose connection, overloading, pinched wire, and/or overheated home appliances. *Arcing is when electricity jumps from one connection to another, usually caused by a damaged cable, overloaded circuits, damaged wire insulation, or flawed or damaged electrical panels. The resulting arc flash can cause injuries or even death. Read More...
What are the common causes of Fires due to Electrical Faults?
Overloading of Extension Cords and circuits
– Do not use extension cord to power appliances or gadgets whose total wattage is beyond its capacity, or the capacity of the circuit you are plugged into. You can check the capacity and rating of the extension cord by looking at the packaging. Multiple plugging onto a single circuit can result to a fire. While Circuit Breakers might be able to prevent this, there is still the risk that the wires components can overheat, causing the plastic/outer covering to be damaged leading to fire.
Improper location of Extension Cords
Do not run extension cords under carpets, through doorways, under furniture, and areas where they are not visible or areas where they are prone to damage. This may result to overheating or damaging the wires that can ignite adjacent flammable materials.
– Electrical Outlets that are not properly installed or are damaged may cause a spark that may cause a fire.
Installation of high wattage light bulbs that do not match the capacity of the fixture or fixtures that are not ventilated properly can result to a fire.
How do we prevent fires cause by electrical faults?
Here are some of the day to day things that we can do to prevent accidents caused by Electrical Faults:
Check your electrical outlets
– Check for loose-fitting plugs and loose wire terminations and corroded terminals. If wires or cables are exposed, replace the missing or broken wall plates immediately. Re-tighten screw to prevent loose connections and arcings. Avoid overloading outlets with multiple plugs and adapters.
Check your electrical cords
– Your cord and plug must not be cracked, damaged or placed near/under flammable materials such as rugs, curtains, carpets, or in high traffic areas.
Do not use Extension Cords permanently
– Extension Cords are made to be used temporarily.
Ensure all electrical connections and terminations are tight and properly connected/terminated to prevent overheating and arcing due to loose, faulty or corroded connections at the convenience outlets, lighting fixtures, circuit breakers and junction boxes.
Check regularly all wires, electrical connections, terminations and splices on
Light bulb , fixtures ,outlets, GFCI’s, circuit breakers, wire splices, no exposed conductors or splices & joints should be fully covered with electrical tapes and ensure that all electrical components are good working conditions as these are vital in maintaining an electrically safe home.
Unplug your appliances when not in use
– Always make sure that your appliances are removed from its outlets as electricity can still flow through them if a power surge takes place.
Be aware and alert on unusual flickering of lights unusual sounds and smell of burnt plastics, arcing, heating and discoloration electrical wires, fixtures, outlets, as these are early signs of faults on the electrical wiring system, call a trained and licensed electrician to check and correct on these electrical faults.
In order for us to efficiently avoid accidents caused by electrical faults we have to tackle the problem at its core. There are two things that we must do to produce an electrically safe home. Get a trained or licensed electrician to conduct electrical safety inspection of your wiring, external power panels, and electrical wall outlets.
Wire your home with the wires and cables that are high quality, efficient and durable. Your wires and cables distribute electricity throughout your home 24/7. Equipping your home with the right wires and cables is essential in making your home electrically safe.
For over 67 years, Phelps Dodge Wires and Cables has proven its globally recognized quality, efficiency, durability and effective and consistent performance for both its products and services. A home that is wired with Phelps Dodge is a home that is “WiredSafe”.
Reach out to us and be assured of having a “WiredSafe” Home with Phelps Dodge.